Tuesday 6 July 2010

Surreal House




I'm a big surrealist fan, this I do not keep secret, so it was inevitable that I would take some enjoyment from the Barbican's 'Surreal House' exhibition. However, I will go as far to say that this was one of the most enjoyable exhibitions that I've ever been to. Not only is it wholey atmospheric, but the diverse range of work housed in the show makes you realise just how significant this topic is. The word 'surrealist' can conjure thoughts of daft people creating all sorts of Freudian oddities, yet almost all of the work in 'Surreal House' draws completely rational conclusions. One of the many many highlights was Dali's House of Venus, shown above.


I love the catalogue for the show -it's beautifully produced with great essays on the subject. You've got until the 12th September to see it, so there isn't really an excuse not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment